The Commissioner of the Department of Licensing and Consumer Affairs, Mr. Richard T. Evangelista, Esq. advises the public that Colgate-Palmolive is recalling 4.9 million bottles of its Fabuloso multi-purpose cleaning liquid because the products might be contaminated with bacteria.
According to a recall notice posted Wednesday, February 8, 2023, by the Consumer Product Safety Commission, the recalled cleaners were sold nationwide from December 2022 through January 2023. Stores carrying Fabuloso include major retailers like Walmart, Sam's Club, Dollar General, and Family Dollar. Locally, Fabuloso is sold throughout the United States Virgin Islands by almost every business with a retailer license. DLCA is ordering all retailers throughout the Territory to check the lot code and UPC code of its inventory and pull the product off its shelves and refrain from selling any affected products immediately.
The brightly colored liquids, which cost between $1 and $11, are marketed for cleaning various home, kitchen, and bathroom surfaces. According to the notice, the recalled cleaners could contain Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Pseudomonas fluorescens, bacteria commonly found in soil and water. Back in Oct. 2022, cleaners were because of the same bacteria.
The germs can enter the body through wounds, eyes, and lungs, posing a risk of serious infection to people with weakened immune systems, lung conditions, or external medical devices. According to CPSC and the company, people with healthy immune systems usually aren't at risk. According to Colgate-Palmolive's webpage for the recall, a preservative wasn't added at the correct levels during the manufacturing process. Without enough preservatives, bacteria could grow in the cleaners.
Which Fabuloso products are being recalled?
The recall includes various sizes, strengths, and scents of Fabuloso Multi-Purpose Cleaning Liquid, listed below. The company said no antibacterial Fabuloso products are being recalled, and no products outside of the following list:
- Fabuloso Original Multi-Purpose Cleaner, Lavender Scent, 22 FL OZ
- Fabuloso Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Lavender Scent, 56 FL OZ, 128 FL OZ, 169 FL OZ
- Fabuloso Multi-Purpose Cleaner, Lavender Scent, 210 FL OZ
- Fabuloso Professional All-Purpose Cleaner & Degreaser, Lavender Scent, 1 GALLON
- Fabuloso Original Multi-Purpose Cleaner, Refreshing Lemon Scent, 22 FL OZ
- Fabuloso Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Refreshing Lemon Scent, 33.8 FL OZ, 56 FL OZ, 128 FL OZ and 169 FL OZ
- Fabuloso Multi-Purpose Cleaner 2X Concentrated Formula, Passion of Fruits Scent, 33.8 FL OZ, 56 FL OZ, 128 FL OZ and 169 FL OZ
- Fabuloso Multi-Purpose Cleaner Bleach Alternative 2X Concentrated Formula, Spring Fresh Scent, 56 FL OZ
- Fabuloso Professional All-Purpose Cleaner & Degreaser, Ocean Scent, 1 GALLON
Colgate-Palmolive said any Fabuloso product you bought before Dec. 16, 2022, isn't included in the recall; nor are any products not on the list above. You can confirm whether your bottle is included by checking its lot code and UPC against the list on fabuloso.com/recall.
How to get a refund if you have a recalled Fabuloso product
The company said you should immediately stop using it. To get a refund, you'll need to fill out an online consumer recall form and submit photos of the UPC and lot code. Then throw the bottle away.